Monday, April 23, 2007

Darjeeling, the Champagne of Teas



Darjeeling is my favorite morning tea. It is light and delicate and steeps to a beautiful amber color. Darjeeling is also a breathtaking place to visit. I haven't been there yet but I plan to one day. As I was sitting here enjoying my morning cup of Darjeeling, I thought I would write up a little something about this wonderful tea.

Commercial tea growing in the Darjeeling region began in the mid 1800's by the British. Today there are 86 running gardens producing ‘Darjeeling Tea’ on a total area of 19,000 hectares. When you buy Darjeeling tea, by law it must be grown in that region and that region only - kind of like how Champagne is ONLY from the Champagne region in France.

I took the following information from darjeelingtea.com: "There are both scientific as well as religious beliefs behind why Darjeeling is the most suitable place to grow tea. The local people believe that the Himalayan range is the abode of Shanker Mahadeva and the breath of God brings winds that cool the brow of the sun filled valley, and the mist and fog which provide the moisture. The fountain that flows from the piled head of Shiva provides water for crops and it thrives." Isn't that romantic!


The flavours of Darjeeling Tea differ from season to season. According to the plucking period, the seasons can be categorised as under: -

Easter Flush (March - April) :
It arrives just after the dormant Winter months. The leaves are tender and very light green in appearance. The liquor too is light, clear, bright and imparts a pleasant brisk flavour

Spring Flush (May - June) :
This flush is famed for its prominent quality. The leaf has a purplish bloom. The liquor is more round, mellow and with more colour (amber) and has a slightly fruity flavour. It is during this period that the famous “Muscatel” flavour becomes pronounced.

Summer Flush (July - September) :
During this period the nature of the liquor changes, becoming stronger, yet retaining the brightness and character that Darjeeling is known for.

Autumn Flush (October - November) :
The Tea during this period has a light coppery tinge and liquors have a delicate character.

Winter Months (December - February) :
Dormant period with no production.

Right now in our shop we have a wonderful Spring flush supply (often referred to as a "second flush"). Last year we had an Easter or first flush that was really delightful but I couldn't get any this year - it wasn't a good flush in many of the gardens. Like wine, tea has good and not so good years due to rain and other factors. The Spring flush we have now is from a good year. Come on in and enjoy a cup.

Deb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you are in France in the summer of '08, I will be in India and making a journey to Darjeeling! It is my Granma's favourite tea and so one of mine. Will you give me an in depth tutorial about it & help me plan that part of my trip next time I'm in the shop, pretty cupcake please? Perhaps I can get you an architectural tour of Paris with my friend there and that way even though I won't see you, we'll be traveling together in spirit!